Monday, July 22, 2013

Camp Firsts

Since I'm stuck in Waldoboro for a couple hours while Jubal has soccer practice, I'll put the time to good use and wrap up my week at Camp Good News.

It was a week of firsts for many. Even my very first junior counselor Heather Q., that I had in Mapleton in '81, was there serving as camp nurse.




Jubal served as a first-time Senior Counselor in the Cheyenne Cabin with Caleb Pendleton as his Jr. Counselor. I was very proud of the way they conducted themselves. They were naturals, working well as a team and giving their campers a great week.

Along with Caleb, this was Nolan's first year as a J.C., although he already had one week under his belt since he worked the week before as well. I know he has enjoyed it because, even though he has to miss Karate, he didn't bat an eye when they asked if he could work Week 5 also. Of course, Heather and I had to take our annual photo of the pair, a tradition we've maintained since their infancy.



We had some first time campers among our kids this year, Julia Pendleton, my niece Allie and Tell, which meant it was my first year since '94 that I was kidless at camp. I like it.







Camp duties are always subject to change so it wasn't a surprise when Dad asked if I would lead the songs during chapel times in addition to team teaching the Bible lessons with Heather. This was a new experience for me but it was a short learning curve thanks to over 30 years of CGN singing and watching Melanie Mulherin lead. There was only one song that I didn't know, not a bad percentage. To remedy that, I recorded Eliza singing it and listened over and over.....Problem solved. The only part of the job that I felt nervous about was making sure I did justice to the role of Echo's interpreter. For me, that job will really only ever belong to Melanie and no one could compare.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
West Bath, Maine, United States