Thursday, September 8, 2011

Is It Potato or Plantain?

Have you ever walked by a fruit or vegetable in the grocery store and wondered, "What does that taste like and how would I prepare it?". Plantains are one of those foods for me. I always thought it was just another version of the banana until I brought the green tough-skinned fruit home. The kids and I researched it and found out that it can be prepared at all stages of ripeness, from green to black, but is always cooked. The fruit sweetens as it ripens so using it to prepare desserts is reserved for the yellow and black stages.






Our plantains were about as green as they come, full of starch, which is perfect for a recipe that mimics mashed potatoes. After peeling, I sliced the plantains in half and boiled them until soft, about 45 minutes. Then I simply mashed them, adding some milk and a large spoonful of cream cheese. If I hadn't prepared them myself, I would have thought they were potatoes. Atira is excited to get a few more, let them ripen and try a dessert recipe next time. I'm sure you'll hear about that attempt when it happens.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
West Bath, Maine, United States