Tuesday, September 20, 2011

In"tree"gued

Early last week I had a conversation with Jubal and learned that he needed a Spanish-English dictionary. Apparently, in one year he had managed to destroy the one that had sustained me through my high school days and twenty years beyond. Well, being a necessary item and no longer having a handy Borders up the road, on Friday, I headed to my local liberal hippie-run bookstore, Gulf of Maine on Brunswick's Maine St.. I made this assumption based not so much on the pony-tailed old man in flannel at the counter, but more so by the lack of an appropriate History section and the prominence of the Gay-Lesbian one by comparison. Another clue was the large edition of Marijuana Horticulture among the gardening books. Though the Foreign Language was small, they thankfully had what I needed. Then, while browsing the Maine books, I happened upon an excellent guide to Maine Forest Trees and bought that as well.



The kids and I put it to good use today as we spent a couple hours identifying and labeling our tree types in the yard and surrounding woods. Our exploration came to an end when Tell tripped in the underbrush and scraped his stomach on a jagged stump. I think Nolan was glad for the end of our tree-tagging time. Atira and I, however, quite enjoyed it and may do it again very soon.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
West Bath, Maine, United States