Monday, August 19, 2013

Maine State Park Passport, Stamp #2


We met the Pendleton and Brunk part of the Buxton Crowd at Popham Beach State Park after church this afternoon. As I saw the long line of parked cars outside the entrance, I was reminded of why we don't go to this beach on the weekend as a general rule. There was no parking space available so Jim dropped us off to walk in and he tried another pass looking for a spot along the road where a car may have left in the meantime. As we approached the Park Entrance Attendant, I noticed that he was now letting cars in so I asked him if there was room in the main lot. There were 6. I whipped out my phone to quickly call Jim before he traveled the 1.2 miles toward Fort Popham and parked there. The attendant said he would save a spot for our van, all I needed to do now was contact Jim. I watched for him to pass the entrance while I listened to the phone ring, and ring, and ring and muttered, "Pick up your phone..." Then I saw him drive past the entrance and in a burst of frustration, arms waving like the Italian that I am, I ran after our passing vehicle, yelling in my Maine accent, "Jim!!! ANsah yah PHONE!" And then he was gone around the bend.....and then he appeared again. He had heard me. A good set of lungs can be a wonderful thing.
Once parked, we attempted to call Greg to find their location. If you've never been to Popham, it's an overwhelmingly massive beach at low tide, (which it was) and about the size of a postage stamp at high tide. The cell signal out there is like a yoyo. One bar 3G, No Service, two bars 3G, one bar E, Searching......two bars etc. after roaming the general area that we knew they were in and walking right past them once, we all finally formed one cohesive group in the sticky sand that Greg loves so much and had fun walking along the sharply ridged sand, wading into the waves, locating and digging up the Pendleton's soccer ball,





Watching the kids find creative ways to use driftwood and wondering which one was going to get smacked on the noggin when it all fell down,





and feeling the wind in your face, at the summit of the small island that is accessible during low tide.












What a gorgeous day on the Maine Midcoast!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
West Bath, Maine, United States