Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Spoiled By Scott

This evening I attempted to watch a musical version of A Christmas Carol with no luck. I didn't even manage to get a full half-hour in before turning it off. I'm sorry but you cannot watch Kelsey Grammer muddle through the role after you have seen it splendidly portrayed by George C. Scott. It would be an insult to compare the two! Last Friday we had our annual pre-Christmas screening of the Scott version with Mom, Dad and Beth. We began the tradition when I lived in Eastport and it was broadcast on one of the four stations that you could pick up Downeast. Back then we watched it on the cabinet encased floor model given to us by Francena, and adjusted the rabbit ears for minimum snow effect. Though the visual enjoyment has increased greatly with technology, the story has remained timeless with no need for improvements. Each family member has their favorite scenes and lines that are recited right along with the actors and each year we laugh at the same places, though we've seen them a hundred times. My favorite scene is when Marley's ghost takes off his headwrap. I couldn't tell you why but that has always cracked me up. For me, Scrooge will always look like George C. Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
West Bath, Maine, United States