Sunday, December 25, 2011

Silent Night, Organized Night

Atira and I had breakfast together at Dunkin' Donuts before a short shopping trip this morning. I had a couple last minute stocking stuffers and Atira was excited to be buying a small gift for each person in the family. She felt bad that, because I was with her, she would not be able to get anything for me. I reminded her that gifts don't always come wrapped up and the time we were spending together in this Christmas season was a very nice present. Once home,



she wrapped her gifts and I wrapped mine.....and Jim's....and all of Dad's for Mom. I was organized and it felt weird. I was even able to watch the first half of the Pats-Dolphins game, DVRing the rest. The Patriots played a terrible first half and were down 17 points when I turned it off. As we walked into the church foyer for the Christmas Eve service I heard Nolan saying to my pastor, a Dolphin's fan, "My mom doesn't want you to tell her anything about the game. She hasn't watched it all yet." Although he technically didn't give me any information, I suspected that my Pats had made a comeback to win it in the second half when, during an illustration, he said, with a hint of a smile, "A lot of points can be scored in the fourth quarter." At the end of the service we lit our candles and sang Silent Night as we do each year.



This is my favorite part of the Christmas season, this quiet, softly lit, reflective few moments with my church family before forming a circle around the sanctuary and wishing each person a "Merry Christmas" with a handshake or a hug. (Anyone who knows me, knows I prefer the latter.)
Once home, Nolan made our eggnog for tomorrow morning and Atira wrote Tell's note for Santa although it was modified after the kids opened their one Christmas Eve gift:



" I would like Bash"
This was followed with Atira's rendering of the train engine and Tell's signature. Then the modification...."Never mind. Mom and Dad got him for me. The milk and Tim Tams are for you." Now it's time for Santa to deliver the stockings.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. What's bash? Santa didn't get cookies at my house this year.
    :-(
    And the wrapping paper didn't get saved.
    :-(
    ,
    ,
    ,

    Those are tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bash is one of the Thomas the Tank engine characters.
    Tell wasn't sure that Santa knew who he was either, hence the drawing. Santa almost had an orange but Jubal let us borrow a couple of his Tim Tams for the plate. As soon as Tell went to bed they mysteriously disappeared.
    It is very sad news about the wrapping paper indeed.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
West Bath, Maine, United States