Wednesday, April 6, 2011

10 Left to Train


Only ten days left until the AT hike! Jim and I only unpacked all the gear last weekend. I still have much to organize and several things to purchase before we're supposed to have Greg inspect the packs on Friday. (I'm pretty sure he's not really expecting ME to have mine ready by then.) I think my training has gone well using the weight machines and the treadmill on high incline, but we'll know for sure in a couple weeks. This spring, weather and time have prevented any opportunities to actually put the pack on and do some short jaunts as we did before last year's hike. On Monday I walked about a half hour down in chilly rain to Ambrose Auto Body to pick up Jim's truck. It was a good test for my trail rain gear, which kept everything dry except for my face, hair and hands. I did notice that being on uneven terrain, trudging at times through the mud and small snow mounds on the side of the road, affected my lower calf muscle. That area must not get worked very well on the machines. I suspect that I won't even notice those muscles at the end of the first day's hike. There will be too many others vying for my attention, screaming out in agony. Tell me, why am I doing this again?

1 comment:

About Me

My photo
West Bath, Maine, United States