Wednesday, August 5, 2009

.....Back from camping




We arrived back from camping in the NH White Mountains with the Fishers Sunday night. Despite the normal irritations that occur naturally from time spent with Don, we all had a wonderful weekend and wish we had gone two nights instead of one. I had been in charge of finding a location and I chose Moose Hillock Campground, which none of us had ever been to. Although a large campground, it has extremely wooded, secluded sites. Tenting out in the open grass with another family 20 feet away is not my idea of an enjoyable camping experience. I'm quite sure what the kids enjoyed the most was the heated pool area. It contained two waterslides, a waterfall, and a pirate ship which shot water from its cannons. As a balance to the hype and excitement it also bordered the White Mountains National Forest and had three quiet trails to explore. One was very short, only a ten minute walk that meandered next to Batchelder Brook. Tell and I discovered this one together, Saturday morning, as we took the long way back from the playground. On Sunday morning my back was bothering me when I woke. I thought that a walk might loosen things up and so I wound my way through the campground, finally arriving at the second trail which would have taken about a half hour to hike. Let me stop here for a moment and make a recommendation. Do not wear flip flops while hiking. I am not unfamiliar with the activity of traversing a mountain trail, even climbing Mt. Washington in my younger years, and normally I would have at least had sneakers on but I forgot to pack any shoes for the weekend and flip flops were it. Not one to be deterred by the little things I pressed on down the winding wooded path and was doing very well until about 10 minutes later when I found myself facing a mud pit with no way around. Not willing to have my only shoes sucked into the miry well, I admitted defeat and turned around. My back felt better after the walk although both mornings since our return it has taken a long hot shower to get me mobile. I'm thinking that the addition of cots to our camping gear may not be a bad investment.

2 comments:

  1. I think the addition of a servant wouldn't be a bad investment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! A servant would not have forgotten to pack proper shoes. Curse this limited camping budget! Cots, it is.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
West Bath, Maine, United States