Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Good Read


I just finished reading the memoir of Clarence Thomas, entitled My Grandfather's Son.
I recall watching some of the Supreme Court confirmation hearings with my friend Russ at his aunt and uncle's home during my Senior year. I was impressed back then by the composure with which he conducted himself during great stress and scrutiny. After reading the book, my admiration for Judge Thomas has only increased. It's a very quick, but illuminating read. I recommend picking it up.
The following is a short passage about Thomas' grandfather, who raised him. He was an honest, hard-working, rigid disciplinarian who expected much from Clarence and was the most important influence on his character.
p. 28 "He could make me cry just by looking at me", Pigeon* often said. But as I grew older, made my own way in the world, and raised a son, I came to appreciate what I had not understood as a child: I had been raised by the greatest man I have ever known.

*Judge Thomas' mother


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
West Bath, Maine, United States