Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Wolfe's Neck State Park



















On Monday we hit a great sale at the Reebok/Rockport outlet in Freeport. I was able to get new sneakers for both Nolan and Tell, as well as Atira's sandals for next year. I was especially grateful to purchase new ones for Nolan, who not only had worn a hole in the side of his old shoes, but could potentially have bottled the odor and sold it as a weapon.

With a few hours available before Atira's soccer practice we traveled just a few minutes to Wolfe's Neck State Park. It's just down the road from one of Jim's jobs and I had never been there. It has some nice hiking trails, some which follow the rocky ocean shore. The low tide provided opportunities for flip-flop clad feet to sink a bit into the periwinkle covered mud flats. That brought to mind the memory of trudging into the cove mud flats up to my calves with my best friend Beth at their cottage on Orr's Island in my high school years. How very fortuitous that this, in turn, reminded me that it was her birthday, and I was therefore NOT late wishing her a Happy Birthday. Timeliness is an unusual happenstance in my life.

I knew, as soon as we got home I would need to bring Atira to soccer, so we were discussing where her shin guards were, while driving out of the park. This conversation followed:

Me: Atira, do you know where your shin guards are? Because as soon as we get home I'm going to have to bring you to your soccer practice.

Atira: I'm not sure. I think they're in my room.

Buddy (my father-in-law): I think the last time I saw them they were hanging up on the floor.

(MUCH LAUGHTER)

Me: Yes, that's the storage space that we utilize the most at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
West Bath, Maine, United States