Thursday, April 8, 2010

Perfect Timing

After leaving Hillhouse this afternoon I headed to Walmart to pick up the ingredients to make Chex Mix with my Pioneer Club kids. Almost immediately after turning onto Old Brunswick Road, I passed a home on the right where a young toddler, clad in a pink sleeper, was slowly walking down the ramp of a side door. It took a moment to register in my mind that I had not seen any adult outside. I felt a prompting to turn around quickly to check on the little girl. Only a few seconds had passed but reaching the house again, I saw that she had made her way to the edge of the road, oblivious to any danger. I could see a vehicle approaching from the opposite direction, so quickly stopping in the middle of the road, (thankful that no one was behind me), I put the hazards on, threw it into Park and ran across the street, scooping up the toddler. The door at the top of the ramp was slightly open and a medium-size, black, shaggy dog greeted me. Having a fear of canines, I was grateful that it only gave a few half-hearted barks at my intrusion into the sunroom. I knocked on the open door, expecting an immediate response from someone in the house but heard nothing. After a few minutes of loud knocking and hollering "Hello!" I ventured into the sunroom to the doorway of the main living area. The little girl, no more than 18 mos., was in my arms, looking calmly into my eyes. From this doorway I was able to hear the sound of a loud television and thought for sure that I would soon see someone emerge from one of the doorways to see who was yelling into their home, but even after a few minutes there was nothing. At this point, I thought I should probably call the police. However, in my haste, I had left my phone in the van. I didn't like the idea of anyone seeing me carrying someone else's child toward my vehicle but decided to head for my phone anyway. Thankfully, stepping off the ramp, I realized that a vehicle had entered the driveway and as a woman exited her car, I explained the situation. As it turns out, she was the child's grandmother. She pointed out that her daughter's car was in the front of the yard, indicating that she was home. I was able to hand the pig-tailed toddler over to her grandma and be on my way. I don't know what situation led to this little girl nearly being run over but I'm thankful God allowed me to be in the right place at the right time.

2 comments:

  1. Phew!!! So glad you went back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's scary. I'm glad you listened to God's prompting to go back!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
West Bath, Maine, United States