Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Endurance

With the AT hike in four days, the idea of endurance has been on my mind. To complete this 5 day journey, I will need to set my will to the task before me and take one step at a time. The terrain will vary. At times it will be a simple walk, on even ground, and the pace will be easy. Inevitably, however, the rugged terrain will come and weariness will pervade every muscle . There will be only the determination to do what is needed that keeps us putting one boot after the other. Not every moment will be filled with friends and the laughter that comes with wonderful companionship. Some moments will find you squatting in the woods, wishing for even the comfort of an outhouse. Simply put, to complete this hike will take perseverance and a commitment to endure to the end.

It may be an odd parallel to the journey of marriage but I think it fits quite nicely. We celebrated my grandparents 60th wedding anniversary this past Saturday. The cloth of their marriage has been woven with great love, heart-wrenching sorrow, times of severe trial and moments of perfect peace. A commitment was made by John Romano and Beverly Fountain on Easter Sunday, six decades ago, to travel life's journey side by side and they have followed through. The long road has taken them through both green pastures and parched landscape and they have not wavered. They set their feet to the task and have provided an example of self-sacrificing love and an enduring marriage for their posterity to follow.

Endure!

1 comment:

  1. A very timely message. Just yesterday, someone I know on facebook posted photos of her new boyfriend. I don't think her husband will be thrilled by that. She posted that she wasn't "happy." A chorus of well-wishers posted their comments: "You deserve to be happy," or some other "it's all about you" sentiments. Marriage is not a "me" thing; it's a "we" thing! This person unfortunately isn't learning that; this new guy will be her third major relationship. (I'm not sure she ever married her fist baby's father...) We need to get off this "it's all about me" kick the pervades everything.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
West Bath, Maine, United States