Sunday, April 18, 2010

9 Miles

It has been a beautiful hike today through the NY woods, sometimes picking our way across muddy logs on the trail and other times just enjoying the calling of jays and the knocking of woodpeckers echoing through the trees We walked through cowfields, using stiles to climb over wire fences and crossed over lengthy marshy areas balancing on two boards called puncheon. The few hilly areas early in the day with fresh feet were much easier to manage than the two that came in the late afternoon when my feet were screaming out in protest. I was struggling by the end. The faster group arrived at Telephone Pioneer Shelter two hours ahead of the slow group, which consisted most of the time, of the four girls. I was able to struggle up the last .6 of a steep mile much easier without my pack, thanks to the rested men who met us at the foot and carried our packs the rest of the way to the shelter. It took quite a while for my feet to feel recovered. Tomorrow's hike is about a mile and 1/2 less and I am VERY glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
West Bath, Maine, United States