Saturday, September 19, 2009

Breathless on Bradbury

Jim and I took our kids, plus a couple extra, to Bradbury Mountain State Park this afternoon. I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to break in my $10 Bean's hiking boots that I picked up this summer in anticipation of the April Appalachian Trail Hike. Since the trail is a very quick climb, only .2 miles straight up to the summit, it's not an extremely useful tool for evaluating the comfort factor of the boot but I need to begin somewhere. I did notice that my right baby toe was sore after wearing them for a while, but I think this has more to do with the fact that I smash my toes religiously on various household items during the barefoot summer months. I'm sure I broke that particular one last month and it's still very tender. I also volunteered to carry the backpack with the water, snacks and my purse. It was only about 20 lbs. I'll be carrying a 40lb. one in April, so there again, not a great evaluation of my burden bearing capacity. What this short, unscientific, trail experiment did make clear is that despite my nearly daily date with the bike or elliptical, I need to make great strides in my cardio endurance before the AT Hike. (I hope Greg's not reading this or I'll never hear the end of it.) I was discouraged for about five minutes at the summit, while attempting to breathe again, but now I am only more determined to push myself a bit harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
West Bath, Maine, United States