Thursday, April 24, 2014

Rocky Ground

Tuesday, April 22-
Wednesday, April 23

The area surrounding Cove Mountain Shelter was not exactly flat and extremely rocky so with limited tent space, eleven of us shared the shelter with a thru hiker who had started his trek in Georgia just after Christmas. Notable events at the shelter included:
• poor Jen's migraine
•Nolan's food bag getting stuck in a tree, with my hiking pole broken and Nolan nearly dropping onto Greg in the process of getting it down
•Josh denying the use of his sleeping mat for Grandpa Mike
•Caleb's sleep taking episode, looking straight at Peg, saying, "I'm not going to do it, Josh." and plopping his head back down again with not another word.
•A water bottle dropping onto Liz's neck from the loft after she was already sore from falling onto a rock just after the thunderstorm
•Valet in-bunk water service for Greg
•A very early morning treacherously rocky moonlight walk with Peg to the luxuriously large privy.
•My attempt to keep my neck from stiffening up by sleeping upright, encased in my mummy sleeping bag, against the shelter post.
•And of no small significance, Nicole's stolen roll of toilet paper.

Morning came with its aching muscles and a new set of miles.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
West Bath, Maine, United States