Sunday, April 14, 2013

Slack Packers Unite!

I'm settling down for the as Sue inserts her earplugs to lessen decibel level of my snoring, which will probably be considerable in light of the 7 1/2 miles of up and down we accomplished today. Thankfully we started with a couple more miles of the river which took us past a few fly-fisherman and some spring wildflowers.


Then we made a steep ascent up to St. John's Ledges which took us past a group of rock climbers. I thought of Jim, who wasn't able to go on the hike this year. I'm sure he would have lost at least 20 minutes on the trail, stopping to chat with them. He wouldn't have been able to help himself.
Just after the climbers we were met by Sam, James and Aaron coming down to take our packs up the rest of the steep rocky trail. It was a good thing; It was rough scrambling up without the added weight.


Just before the top, we encountered a set of stairs and at this point I realized that I had dropped my water bottle in the last few minutes. We sent young Asa Hodgdon down to see if he could find the olive green bottle. Miraculously, he did. What I did not realize until I reached the top and had taken a sip is that he had used this opportunity to drink from my water. I don't even let my husband do that! He was quite pleased that he had sufficiently grossed me out.
The rest of the day was a mix of ups and downs before enduring what seemed to be the longest 3/10 of a mile of the entire day, leading us to Mt. Algo Shelter.














And as I finish this post the temperature is dropping into the 30's and we're snuggling in for a chilly sleep. I think I'm wearing my gloves to bed tonight!.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
West Bath, Maine, United States