Monday, March 14, 2011

Catan Quote



Growing up as a Romano meant that you learned to deal with competition early. My Dad always balanced well the art of teaching us to play a game but never letting us win, even when we were very young. Dad plays to win. I believe it is actually BauBau, my maternal grandmother, that has passed this genetic trait onto her children. In my younger years, the traditional family Thanksgiving game of Risk with all the aunts, uncles and cousins, was at times brutal.
These days, Settlers of Catan has replaced Risk at our family gatherings. With Robert and Jodi visiting we took the opportunity to teach them the game as well. While explaining the rules and a bit of strategy, Jubal and Dad began to discuss the ratio of strategy to luck involved in winning Catan. Ever confident in his ability to master a board game, Dad, with a slight smile and glint in his eye, simply stated the following: "Well, there has to be a bit of luck involved because I don't always win."

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
West Bath, Maine, United States