Thursday, February 11, 2016

Preferring Smoke Haus to Outhouse

As dawn breaks over Akron, Ohio, allow me to give a summary of yesterday's travel. Items of note about our departure: We were on time, there were no dishes in the sink and Atira, loaded down with three bags and a blanket, stated that she felt like Mimi, as we walked out the door. If you have traveled with my mom, you know exactly what she means.


By lunchtime we were in East Fishkill, NY and stopped for gas. Eager to empty our bladders, we were greeted by a contender for "Worst Bathrooms Ever". With graffiti-filled walls, a poorly flushing toilet, and a wad of green gum in the  sink, the poor lighting may have been a blessing. Our visit also required a family member outside to guard and open the door since the lock did not work and the inside handle was missing. If I had closed my eyes I might have thought that I was in the outhouse of RPH, my favorite AT Shelter, about 20 minutes away. It would have been preferable. When a 10-year old Gilbert boy remarks, "That was gross.", you KNOW it was. Hours down the road, Atira and I were appreciative when the next bathroom had this sign posted:


Up the road from the virtual outhouse was the Smoke Haus & Deli where we had lunch and were waited on by a very friendly lady. Since we were in New York, I thought that was worth mentioning. 

As the sun set, semi trucks and swirling snow accompanied us to the Ohio border and a good night's rest.




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
West Bath, Maine, United States