Thursday, July 16, 2009

Foiled

The plan was for Jim to wake me up at 6 this morning, be leisurely driving to Buxton by 7:15 and arrive at Nicki's an hour later. She would highlight my hair with red and blonde foils and by 10 :30 (allowing time for gabbing and coffee, of course) we would be ready to meet the rest of the Buxton crowd at Kiwanis Beach in Standish for a day of sun and sand.

That was the plan.

What really happened was Jim overslept and woke me up at 6:40 and Tell crabbed from the moment I woke him up. Jim checked the oil for me and discovered it was low. (He takes good care of me). The low fuel light decided to light up as well and I forgot to get my cash out at the ATM for Kiwanis yesterday. Thankfully, one stop at New Meadows Market just up the road took care of all three, so I was only down one fifteen minute stop. Except for the fact that I needed coffee, with no time to make it at home while rushing around. Make that another 5 minute stop. Just before Freeport I call Nicki to tell her I would not be there until 9:15. (She, of course, was completely shocked at my tardiness, as I'm sure those of you reading this are as well.) I arrive at 9:15 exactly as O Great Garmin predicted. The foils go on and the gabbing commences. We discuss that the weather is not as lovely as the forecast indicated it would be and Plan B, the playground, is put into place. Complaints from each child ensue, as we expected. A phone call from Cuzannah, who decided to brave the beach anyway, interrupts to inform us that Kiwanis is unexpectedly closed for the day. We like this. We are no longer the bad mothers who bar their children from the beach, it's just closed. Even with all the commotion, hair is done and the caravan departs for a couple hours of hanging out with friends, at the original time of 10:30! Before heading home I stop at my grandparents for a quick visit and we land home around 3:00. It was not the day we had planned but a good one nonetheless!

2 comments:

  1. I'm stressed just reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you read it BEFORE your stress-relieving run, then!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
West Bath, Maine, United States