Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Jim vs. Electronics

Jim is generally very talented when it comes to household fixes. Need another bedroom built? A new roof put on? Bathroom plumbing reoriented? (Although I must mention that 7 years later our bathroom is still not finished. Tilesetters bathrooms are never tiled....Tradesmen’s wives, you know the story.) Need a chair or table fixed? A water line to the refrigerator installed? A set of stairs built? Want to almost double the size of your house with an addition? Jim is your man. In our 21 years here on Ledgewood Drive he has accomplished all of this and more, but like all great superheroes he has a weakness.

Jim’s Kryptonite comes in the form of a plug. In the second year of our marriage a fax machine that Jim had been attempting to fix went crashing down the basement stairs. This was the genesis of a long line of appliances that would “meet their Maker” at the hands of my husband.

Yesterday the dispensing mechanism on our Keurig began to malfunction. I researched and tried the online advice from others that had encountered the same issue, but to no avail. It still took 7 minutes to brew a half a cup of coffee.

What happened next was predictable. The doomed appliance landed in the calloused hands of Jim. I verbalized my amusement. “I don’t want to discourage your attempt to fix this but we all know how these projects usually end.” With a chuckle, he admitted, “I cannot disagree with you.”


Nolan, who has patience with electronics, was helping this time so I did think that maybe this Keurig had a chance.
Alas, no.

After 10 minutes the crack of plastic heralded the announcement of my new coffee-maker. Twenty-four years of experience, I should have known.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Would you believe I’m an expert Keurig fixer? True story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would believe it. Too bad we didn’t know before. We could have used a Keurig repair as a reason to come visit.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
West Bath, Maine, United States